Thursday, 10 April 2014

when africa meets japan...

I have material I bought in one of three African countries I was lucky enough to visit in the last few years - Chad, Mozambique and Kenya.

I wish I could remember which was from which country! Anyway, suffice to say, this obi-style belt is using material bought somewhere on the African continent. 


For once in my life, I went to lots of trouble to match up my patterns and I think that looks lovely, except the tie kind of then covers it up. So maybe this would be better in a plain fabric. If I make it with a print again I could put the tie at the back. What do you think? 




I can upload measurements and instructions if anybody is interested! 


In other sewing news, I went along to a sewing Meet Up organised by a lovely lady called Emma on the meetup.com website. Five of us nerdily nattered over coffee and tasty things in KC Peaches in Dublin - really nice and hopefully we'll be doing it again if anyone is around Dublin parts! 

And then next Saturday I have another very exciting sewing engagment! I am going over to London to take part in a workshop by the amazing Chinelo Bally! 

If you live in the UK or here in Ireland and you are reading this blog you'll probably know who Chinelo is! But for those who live farther away, Chinelo was one of the finalists in the Great British Sewing Bee. Sadly she didn't win, but Heather made a really stunning showpiece dress to bag her the title and led to this kinda brilliant moment.

But Chinelo has consistently been creating stunningly creative garments throughout the whole series and she is a pattern-free sewer. So I'm really looking forward to hearing about going freehand with Chinelo! 

Can't wait to tell you all about it next week! 

6 comments:

  1. Love your belt, the colours are so beautiful! It's worth breaking out the best techniques for such special fabric and you did a great job :)

    And so exciting to hear about your workshop with Chinelo - she blew me away on the show and I would love to know more about her methods. I've just subscribed to her blog but how cool it would be to see it all work in person. Do please let us know how you get on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to make another one!
      Yes the Chinelo workshop was so interesting, will write about it soon!!

      Delete
  2. I love your belt! I must make one as I have a knit dress alot like the one you're wearing there but it needs some waist definition. Could you let me know the next time you guys meet up in Dublin? All my crafty friends are Knitters who are afraid of sewing!

    Very jealous of your London trip. She's amazing!!! Have a great time and take lots of photos to show us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aileen! Yes it's really handy...
    I'll definitely post about the next time the meet up is happening - I know what you mean, there are so many knitters out there! I think it is the weekend after the bank holiday weekend but I'll find out for sure and let you know. It's on Meetup.com anyway which is a recent discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, the belt is stunning, would your mind uploading the instructions.... thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma,
      Thanks a million... yep, will do!
      Nx

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you - don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...